The filter press is a solid liquid separation device using the principle of pressure feeding. It is highly efficient, compact, dewatering device for separating solids from liquid slurries in the form of compressed cake. It has wide range of applications by several industries like Pharma, bulk drugs, distilleries, beverages & other industries.
The unfiltered liquid is fed into the filter under positive pressure, where liquid travels in downwards direction and finds its way through opening on sides of the Filter Plates. As the liquid pressure increases, the Filter media holds the foreign particles and allows only clear filtrate to pass through the central channel formed by interlocking pressure cups to the outlet. Filtration is continued until the cake holding capacity of the unit is reached or until the filtrate rate becomes too slow owing to cake resistance.
Filter Press Working Description.
The Cartridge assembly consists of plates, perforated screens, spacers and fitter media. Interlocking spacers internally form single pipeline. The unfiltered liquid is centrally fed under pressure from bottom inlet. The liquids spreads out equally on each plate fitted with filter media. Solids remain on filter media and clear filtrate flows through precisely made holes on sides of plates and collects in the shell, which then comes out through the outlet. In this process, solids are evenly distributed on each plate.
At the end of the cycle the cake can be dried by applying compressed air or inert gas.
Central feeding of Unfiltered liquid ensures :
- Single pass clear filteration.
- Full Batch recovery of the filterate.
- No Scavenging of the filterate.
- Complete Cake retains on the Plate.
- Uniform distribution of cake on each plate.
- Reduce the cost of treatement of Catalyst, Toxic Chemicals.
- Less Exposure to the operating person.
- No contamination of the internal surface of the Shell.
Equal thickness of the Cake on each plate ensures:
- Minimum amount of solvent required to wash the Active Material from the Cake.
- Reduce the cost of expensive solvents.
- Cake can be thoroughly dried either by compressed air or by inert Gas.
- Uniform Filter – Aid Bed can be formed.